Thursday 21 July 2011

An Encounter

      I know you all must be thinking many possibilities for " An Encounter". Post that all in your comments regarding what the title suggested you before you read it.
   This incident is very much fresh in my memory. I was in my 10th class preparing for the heaviest of all courses " ICSE" board exam. Unlike other boards, we take NTSE( National Talent Search Examination) in our 10th class...That particular day, may be a Monday ( don't remember well but yes must have been one of the seven days), I got the news of my selection to the finals of NTSE. It feels really great when you get through something that you hardly expected for. Similar was my situation then. I felt of being the luckiest of all...( Though Lady Luck has always been pretty on me).
   Hey guys don't form any wrong opinion that I'm intelligent because I managed to qualify NTSE. I'm neither an IITian nor an NITian...but yes I did qualify for IIT with a rank of 9271 which fetched me no seat...Unlucky me.. :-(


         Coming back home I enjoyed being the cynosure of all. My parents, grandparents n my best friend Sam (who is ofcourse one of the brightest brains, now in IIT , Kgp) congratulated me. I was in top of the world...Soon night feel in..... You know what, it really doesn't take any long for happy moments to turn into tragic incidents of your life.
            Having a sumptous and lucrative dinner, I sat back to carry out sums on TAX. This had been one of my favorite chapters in ICSE maths syllabus. I always showed some interest in Commerce. Unlikely, I had to end up with Science in my Intermediate in order to cater to the demands of the trends in engineering.
              You all must be thinking that was I really so sincere to sit back to study...Well I was managing a dual job working out maths and listening to the tracks of Insomniac over my i-pod..One of my cousin out in U.K had brought me this i-pod just 4 days ago. This 4 days old i-pod had certainly become my coolest buddy then.
          It was winter night somewhere in the end of December. Spine chilling cold all around. You can say that I'm a brave heartto sleep alone inmy room since i was 9 years old...At about 1 a.m. I decided to wind up my intelligence. Too much of studies makes us nerds.. .hahaha. I switched off the light, set the alarm at 3:30 a.m.( I always do so but never happened to wake up. It rings till mum comes from the neighbouring room and stops the alarm...see the comedy..the ring is never heard by me though the alarm lies beside me). Finally pulled my blanket making a cosy sleep..Till dis particular night my room continued to be a heavenly abode for me. My room is well ventilated with three windows. My room marks the end of our colony. From there starts the tower sites of various Telecom Departments. So it is a lighted area with a huge boundary walls. At the entrance there is a broad plate that reads "Trespasses are prosecuted". It has been a high security zone. Hence, there is hardly any chance of intruders.
          I believe to have closed the window but not sure enough to have locked it. Don't know what exactly happened but I felt some suffocation while in my sleep. I had broken dreams. I could feel some unknown presence. Thanks to my strong sixth sense. There was some congestion within. I suddenly woke up with wide open eyes as if I had never slept. Strange but true, I found myself in sweat running down my forehead in this chilly winter night. While I tried to comfort myself, my eyes fell on the windows wide open. It was windy outside. The curtains hanging down the windows were moving like tides. I could see the waves of winds and the trees swinging to and fro. The wind blowing out made sounds like the hiss of a thousand adders. It was indeed an airy atmosphere. I watch a lot of horror movies. This scenario made me visualize the thousands of horror flicks I had seen.  
         As I gazed hard outside, the window slowly got closed with a typical shriek just the way the doors of old Havelis sound. At that instant I convinced myself thinking that it must have been the wind. It wasn't more than than 10 minutes had I managed sleeping that the door opened again with the same shriek. This time I felt the real fear within. I was entirely trembling. I had goosebumps. I could hear the clattering of teeth. My heart was pounding hard, loud and clear. Had there been a doctor, he would have never sought for a stethoscope to count heart beats. My imaginations started taking different shapes and sizes of monsters. accumulating enough amount of courage I managed to sit back but away from the window. To add to my fear that had almost taken a toll on me, I saw a shadow standing behind the curtains. A huge shadow with spiked hair. For a fraction of second , I think to have lost my consciousness. My throat was totally dried up in fear. I drew closer to the window. Slowly a dark hand with boils all over and long dirt filled nails crept inside through the window. My mouth was wide open, unable to realize what was it...!!!! I rubbed my eyes, pinched myself  to convince that i wasn't hallucinating...I wish I were...!!!


           " Is it an APPARITION..!!! Do they exist..??? This monster will now get into my room....Ohh God please save me. I promise never to see horror stuffs...Please protect.." These were the thoughts that were crossing my mind with a speed faster than light. My voice box was practically choked. There was a sudden rush of adrenaline that demanded anyone of the two actions- FIGHT OR FLIGHT. However, neither of the two was possible on my part. I'm too fragile to fight back a monster and at the same time my feet won't permit me a flight. This single monster had almost left me dead, to add to my miseries came a second shadow... I still feel the shiver when I write here now.
            All of a sudden I heard a voice that spoke- "Hey got anything more worthwhile to grab......."
OMG..!!!! These are no apparitions but burglars. I gathered some courage after being aware that these are just petty thieves. Meanwhile the person's hand was searching for valuables to steal, I gave him a bang with my water bottle...( I wish I had a hammer...). I shouted at the top of my voice and called my mother. The duo had left the place by the time my parents and grandparents came..It was perfectly 3:30 and my alarm rang. I was almost in shock. This had left me highly traumatized. I soon realized that my i-pod was stolen. Felt very bad that I couldn't sleep further. 
             In the morning we found people discussing about the burglaries at there places too. A police complaint was lodged by our colony President. Everyday I read about some theft and wondered how those people felt but now I'm too an victim such nuance. This particular encounter with the so called 
anti-socials affected me so much so that I sometimes fail to sleep at nights when I hear any sound outside.........Hence AN ENCOUNTER.


Thanks.
Megha....:-)

5 comments:

  1. Gud beginning! a scary one too :P
    keep up the gud work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely description...I would say a gud start....Liked this "I gave him a bang with my water bottle...( I wish I had a hammer...)." .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. nyc one ... keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. dis is a Nyc start to ur Bloggin career ... waitin fur de next 'Encounter' !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. :)...wish i was the thief...i-pod with insomniac in it worth a steal...:)

    ReplyDelete